Hello! I’m Pam Ryan and I started Virtual Ringmaster, LLC in 2008.
I tried out a lot of things on my way to learning what I want to be when I grow up before I began working as a full-time VA!
Here’s the resume stuff:
- Bachelor of Science degree from the State University of New York at Fredonia (Communications major, English minor).
- Spent 11 years in Washington, DC working for two trade associations as secretary to the Meeting Director, Business Manager, Assistant to the President, and Manager of Office & Customer Services.
- Moved to Ohio where I worked for a manufacturing company for six years as executive assistant and customer service rep.
So then what happened?
One day when I was 40 I literally looked around my workspace (a.k.a. the customer service bull pen) and realized I didn’t want to be sitting in the same seat on my 50th birthday. I spent a year debating with myself, praying for divine guidance and reading lots of career books. Ultimately I told my boss I quit!
I noodled around for a while and circled back to virtual assistance, which I first heard about in the late 90’s when the industry was just getting started. I completed AssistU’s 20-week Virtual Training Program in 2008 and started my full-time VA business right away.
I never dreamed of being self-employed and now I can’t imagine going back to the corporate world. I meet fabulous people, get to do interesting work and don’t have to tell anybody I’m taking a bathroom break!
It isn’t easy for me to talk about myself so I’ll share some descriptions about me that I frequently hear from others: Calm, centered, professional, great phone voice, down-to-earth, collaborative, reliable, caring, and upbeat. (Yes, I was a Girl Scout!)
Continuing to evolve is very important to me. I’ve spent a fair amount of time learning how the world sees me by taking Sally Hogshead’s Fascination Advantage® Test and then carefully working through the resulting report. I also read her book, How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination.
I learned that I’m an Orchestrator. My Primary Advantage is Passion, my Secondary Advantage is Alert and my Dormant Advantage is Mystique. This means that I’m intuitive, proactive and organized and that I thrive with open communication.
Now that I’m my own boss, I have energy for life outside of work!
You might find me…
- Enjoying nature, especially the birds in the marsh just outside my back door.
- Sipping a cup of strong black tea while reading something inspirational.
- Taking photos.
- Traveling to new places.
- Walking the beach along Lake Erie.
- Watching PBS Masterpiece Classic or Masterpiece Mystery.
- Drinking a glass of chardonnay or merlot, likely on my back deck or at a winery.
- Snapping pieces into a jigsaw puzzle.
Listen to Pam being interviewed by Anastacia Brice, Founder of AssistU
Another interview of Pam with Anastacia Brice, Founder of AssistU